Pages

Psalm 30:5

"...across a lifetime there is only love. The nights of crying your eyes out give way to days of laughter." --Psalm 30:5

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Some Sort of Stromboli

Every weekend, I ask Mike if he wants anything specific for dinner that upcoming week.  He usually doesn't have a whole lot to request, but this week, Mike made a request for Stromboli.  I'd never made anything like this, so it's all been trial and error, but the reviews were wonderful!  The wonderful thing is that you can adapt this to whatever sort of fillings (or leftovers) are available!


I started by tossing some ingredients in my bread maker on the dough cycle--man, do I LOVE that thing!

Pizza Dough
1 cup water, room temperature
3/4 tsp honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 2/3 c bread flour*
1/2 c plus 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour*
1 3/4 tsp yeast

When the dough finished, I rolled it out and brushed it with a bit of olive oil.  Then, I layered on my "stuffing": today, that meant baby spinach, diced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, grilled chicken / bacon / feta cheese (leftovers from last night's salad!), some Parmesan and oregano, and then a bit of onion for Mike.  I think the only problem was that I had too much good stuff in there!



(Jordan munched on some Cheerios while I worked, though he preferred the frozen peach that came next!)

I put the roll on a greased and floured baking sheet or bread pan and set it somewhere warm to rise for 20-30 minutes.  (On a winter day in a cold house, I often turn the oven on to low for a bit, turn it off, let it cool a bit and just let the bread/dough hang out in the oven with the heat off for a while.)
I brushed the top with olive oil just before baking for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

I let it cool for a few minutes and then slice and then we ATE!!  SO delicious!

4 comments:

  1. Oh I forgot how much I love "garbage pizza". I think I'll be making some next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A stromboli is just *fun* to create!! (Plus, it's a fun word to say with emphasis, esp. if you are watching Disney's "Pinocchio" LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really good! I enjoy reading your blog Beth, keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, It's Susana Barnreuther-Martinez writing :)

    ReplyDelete